Originally Posted By: tonyc

Redrum, for your situation specifically, I just can't see how changing horses mid-stream (or toward the end of the stream) makes sense. What is so bad about this school? Your daughter has managed to do very well academically in this supposedly terrible environment. She's got one year left. What could possibly be so bad to cause you to try to make this change at the 11th hour? Not to take anything away from your wife, who I'm sure is a very capable teacher, but is she going to have enough detailed knowledge of all the subjects your daughter is going to want to learn, and is she going to have the time to learn the portions she needs to bone up on in time to teach them to your daughter?

This, combined with the possibility of colleges / scholarships looking down on a GED, or questioning the decision to home school the final year, I just don't see what's really gained by making such a drastic move this late in the game.

Yes, your 11th hour reasoning, the scholarship/GED issues and one other main thing I haven’t brought up – my daughter’s lack of self-motivation are the three main reasons I don’t think we will home school her. I’ve tried to keep an open mind though.

With the youngest we are going to give it a shot. If we/she can’t handle it we’ll ship her off to the factory.

In regards to our objectiveness of our daughter I don’t think that will be an issue. When something “happens” we are the first to blame our daughter. Kids lie, cheat, steal and are basically rotten animals (well maybe not that bad but…. ) . We are definitely not blind to what our daughter is capable of and not capable of. I know some parents think there kids can walk on water and do no wrong. We don’t fall into that mold.