Originally Posted By: JeffS
it just seems a waste to sit in the middle where faith exists as a ritualistic adherence to something that really doesn't make a difference in your life.

Agreed. I quit the church scene, because I found it a waste of time. I find it much more worshipful and have always felt a deeper connection with any notion of a Creator, by going out into nature, and interacting with the stuff that was created, than by sitting around singing hymns and listening to a preacher (not that the latter couldn't be interesting). Over time, I came to the realization that I don't honestly care about the notion of an after life. If I am choosing my behaviour based on whether or not something will further my chances of getting into heaven, or bringing me closer to God, or whatever, then I'm not doing it because it's the right thing to do, but because I have the ulterior motive of going to heaven. It feels like I'm trying to buy my way in. I'd rather just live my life as ethically as possible, and do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. If there is no heaven, so be it, I didn't waste my life trying to please a non-existing god. If there is a heaven, then I either make the cut because the way I lived my life pleased the god, or not, in which case the god and I don't seem to see eye to eye, and I'm unconvinced I'd want to be there anyway.