Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy
I really thought Paul Graham's essay " Why Nerds are Unpopular" perfectly described my experience in high school. In this essay, Graham makes the point that public schools are basically places to store children while (usually both) parents are off working. Anything they learn is purely secondary. That basically makes public schools prisons, which is exactly what my high school looked, felt and smelled like. The cruel, "bullying" schoolkid culture has gotten some publicity lately, but nobody seems to notice how similar the schoolkid culture is to gang-based prison culture, and for essentially the same reason: people forced against their will to be in a useless institution with tons of petty rules and bureaucracy with very little control over their own lives. Violent criminals may deserve to be in such a place, but I sure resented it when I was in high school.

I had quite the opposite experience -- I had a great time in high school, and loved being there. I certainly wasn't one of the social elite, and spent my share of lunch periods playing D&D in the library. I don't think I ever went on a date, and was never invited to any parties. I was less than fashionable. However, I played on the basketball and volleyball teams, ran track and cross-country, did lighting and other technial stuff for theatre and fashion shows, and did all the math and programming competitions. My final semester was calculus and the top level art class. So despite being on the lower end of the "popular" range (certainly above the smelly kid who was rumoured to have come to school one day with the afterbirth of his dog's puppies still on his clothes), I interacted with a pretty broad range of people (including the smelly kid). I recognized the petty rules and bureaucracy, and just didn't put up with it. I basically did what I wanted, but the reason I got away with it when most other people didn't, was that I had the grades, so it was largely overlooked.