Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy

I think this raises another point. Whose responsibility is it to educate children? I contend it's the parent's responsibility. Even if the public school system is out there, it's still the parent's responsibility to make sure their kid is learning what they need to be successful in life.

I agree wholeheartedly. And in my experience, it makes a massive difference in achievement levels. I think that's the primary reason why many private schools can produce students that average far higher test scores across the board at a fraction of the budget. The parents are far more vested since they're shelling out big bucks for that education. That's also why I don't believe in the whole "throw more money at the problem" fallacy as a way to fix our public education system. In then end, it's up to the parents to make sure their children are learning.

A couple of the private schools I worked with required a certain number of volunteer hours for every parent/guardian per semester. I wonder how that would work in the public sector. Obviously the biggest problem would be enforcing it.