Originally Posted By: Cris
That is very interesting. Not something I can say I see any sense in, but interesting non the less.

The Bible and any scripture and be put to one side as been written by the hand of man, so does not for part of any evidence of this. Can you provide any evidence for this at all apart from what is written in the Bible ???

That is why I couldn't take this any more seriously than any other tale, fable or story I've ever been told. In the course of my current job I have the chance to ask questions of a few faiths, they are all the same, they basically say "It's written here, it has been for thousands of years, so it's true" It just isn't. Sorry.

Cheers

Cris
It depends on what question you are asking. If you are asking about arguing for a Creator (uncaused cause), then you will note that not once have I appealed to scripture, for in fact scripture assumes a Creator and gives little to no evidence for God's existence. My arguments for a creator mainly come from philosophy, and not necessarily the philosophy of Christians.

Regarding my understanding of the nature of sin and the fall, I am unashamedly appealing to scripture. While some truth of God's story of redemption can be acquired through natural law, I think the Bible is the end all be all of such understanding. In "Mere Christianity", for example, C.S. Lewis makes arguments appealing to human's innate sense of rightness (and our non-adherence to it) to give evidence for the idea that we fall short of our Creator, but this is only a portion of what the scripture argues regarding sin and redemption.

In fact, the Bible itself claims to be the sole authority on the question of God's plan for and relationship to humanity. I do not think this is unreasonable- to understand God's interaction with His creation, religious text seems to be the appropriate place to go. The question to be answered is how you get to the Bible as being the correct text by which to know God, if such a text in fact even exists. The short answer is you determine whether the Bible is generally reliable (I believe it is and this is evident if viewed objectively) and then you move from there to the question of whether or not it is, as it claims to be, the word of God and infallible for understanding God's interaction with humanity. The even shorter answer is the conviction of the Holy Spirit brings us to faith in Christ and the Bible, but I do not believe that it ends there- that is, faith in scripture is logical and reasonable, even if arrived at by the drawing of the spirit.

That being said, I think the challenge of Christianity is "Do you believe you have a sin problem, and if so, what are you doing to deal with it?" If the answer to this question bothers us, the Bible provides answers we may choose to consider. If not, the Bible probably isn't going to say much to us that is compelling.