So my brother-in-law and sister-in-law chose home school for their junior and senior years of high school. In their case, the public schools in their part of the DC area are pretty bad. So much so, that most people who can afford it choose private schools or other alternatives.

They found a home school co-op (sounds like you are already part of one for your younger child.) This particular co-op was a classical education where they study logic and rhetoric and other classical subjects. They would go to class at the co-op 3 mornings a week and do home school for the rest.

I was extremely impressed with the quality of the education. They were far more prepared for college that I was. They had already a high skill level in research and academic writing, they were skilled in self-learning and budgeting their time. My sister-in-law is now flying through college and excelling. Their co-op had opportunities for sports, prom and most of the things they'd miss out on at a traditional school. Even got a regular diploma.

As open-minded as you guys are about most things, I'm surprised how many of you are so closed to alternative avenues for education. Shame, Shame. Surely you can't think that our public school system is the pinnacle of educational opportunity? Also, learning to self-educate is a valuable skill for college and life in general. Surely it's not a terrible idea to start that transition in a more forgiving environment?

I'd say to make an honest evaluation as to whether she has the motivation and work ethic to home school. If she does, then go for it. If not, the cost of the transfer pales in comparison to private school tuition. It's not a bad option if the school culture is that much better than the local one. Just take it out of her clothing budget smile

EDIT: I'm going to have to home school my kids if I live here long enough. Really, we've already started. We have learning time with my two-year old every day (about an hour a day). It'll be interesting to see how my thoughts on it develop. She'll still attend the village school at least part-time, but many finish primary school with a third-grade level education, and I'm not willing to settle for that with my kids.