Originally Posted By: msaeger
Quote:

I feel like I was given a good education by public schools.

I don't think the schools are the same as when we went.

We had a huge thread on our internal news server at work on how schools changed because of the 'No Child Left Behind' program. If I have children, I don't think I would have any choice other than to send them to private schools and supplement that with home schooling in subjects we, as parents, would be able to.

Edit: I went to private schools from third grade on. That was mainly because we went through several zoning changes on base, so I was with a different group of kids each year from K-2 and my parents had enough. They wanted some semblence of stability, especially since we were projected to move every three years on top of it. After that, I went to a private college. I have no first hand knowledge of public schools other than K-2 and some classes at a local university (where I thought the professors were absolutely horrible compared to what I had for my undergraduate courses).

I would rather send my children to private schools than home school them. I don't see how I could objectively teach them in subjects I don't like or agree with. For instnace, I can't stand literature. As my mom once said, 'How in the hell do they know what the author meant? Sometimes a river really is just a damn river and a bridge really is just a damn bridge'.

Edited by Tim (09/05/2011 10:55)