Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
So my brother-in-law and sister-in-law chose home school for their junior and senior years of high school. In their case, the public schools in their part of the DC area are pretty bad. So much so, that most people who can afford it choose private schools or other alternatives.

That's also a different situation than most of us have. The DC school system is abysmal (even when it isn't receiving envelopes with white powder in them). Private schools are big in this area and the main alternative, but they're also insanely expensive, often costing more than an out of state university!

I count myself lucky that I went to the best public school in the state of Virginia (that wasn't a magnet school). I was given a fantastic education, even if I didn't always receive it so well smile I can't speak to the challenges of a bad schooling situation, but despite having a great school system in my area, there are still those who choose to home school, and that doesn't make sense to me. That's why I note that every one of those families has been very religious, so that colors my impression of why a family would choose to home school. It's not the same in other areas, but that's what it seems to be in this particular area.