very religious != evil

very religious education != bad education

bad education == bad education

There are good public schools and there are bad public schools. There are good home-schoolers and bad home-schoolers.

I know a socially well-adjusted home-schooled guy who started university at age 16, graduated Summa Cum Laude and proceeded to earn his doctorate in mathematics by age 25. He was my professor for 'data structures and algorithmic analysis'.

I know another home-schooled kid that is socially inept, poorly educated, and otherwise unable to function effectively in society. He's basically doomed to live with his parents for the rest of his life.

I could come up with equally successful and harmful stories from public schools. Just because one can find bad examples doesn't mean it's a bad form of education. I'd be very interested to see statistics on standardized test scores on home-schooled kids vs. publicly educated kids. Also would be interested to see how that translates to future careers. Don't know where to look for those stats though.

What I do have is 10 years of experience working in education and a father who was a teacher and school administrator for 15 year. He has his doctorate in educational administration and did his dissertation on parent-assisted education. Experience tells me that home schooling can be either good or bad, but works out very well for the student a high percentage of the time.