Originally Posted By: DWallach
I have no objection to teaching your kids any religion or belief system you want, but if you teach them "creation science", you're undercutting what science is all about, and you're creating a kid who's going to be at a serious disadvantage if and when they ever want to be a real scientist.
Dan pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. The popular attack on evolution is that "it's only a theory", and that statement alone proves the speaker has no concept of the basic scientific principals. What bothers me about creationist based "science" is that it invites people to pick and choose what to believe in regarding science. Gravity is also "just a theory", but I don't hear the creationist side trying to disprove it as strongly as they try and disprove evolution.

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
Are people not allowed to teach their children alternative theories of origin?
This is another issue I have with creationism vs evolution. Evolution is not an origin theory in the same way creationism is. Evolution only describes an observable system for biological change on this planet. Creationism tries to explain how, and why everything came to be. To me, the why questions belong in a philosophy class, not a science class. Sadly philosophy classes are pretty rare prior to college, and more and more teachers seem to be shying away from teaching proper evolution due to the controversial issue that it has become, again. Starting to wonder when we will have a repeat of the Scopes Trial in this country.