Bigot: One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

It's the intolerace that crosses the line.

Quote:
Now if a person believes he or she can mistreat another human being because of a different value, THAT is being a bigot and intolerent.

Discriminating against homosexuals by not giving them the same civil rights of partnership is mistreating another human being. The only time I've gotten in an unpleasant confrontation in this coffee shop was over this issue. That was the day I attached the bigot label to the owner of the coffee shop. BTW, he and I are very friendly and have a mutual respect for each other. He is a loving and wise man. But he's a bigot by the definition of the word. I have a hard time reconciling that.

He tried to explain it to me once. It has to do with the "we're all sinners" concept. He's a sinner. Homosexuals are sinners. He claims he doesn't feel superior to them. Yet, he still wants to pass laws that subjugate them. I don't get it. Of all the Christian concepts, the one I grok the least is the idea that human beings are all scumbags who must be saved. I think human beings are marvelous creatures and it's humanity that deserves worship.

Quote:
If trying to advance your values through the system is bigotry, then we are truly a country of bigots, every single one of us.

It depends on whether your values are ones of intolerance and oppression.

As for regulating home schooling, I agree with mlord's initial statement. I was surprised that home schoolers aren't required to pass the same basic aptitude tests I did to graduate high school. Ironically, it's these sort of standardized tests that are foundation of Bush's education laws.

I have no issue with the "slant". Parents have the right to teach their children the values they believe are important. I believe the state has an obligation only to insure the kids are learning a set of necessary skills.

Also, some states will subsidize home schoolers. The one I know of in particular is Pennsylvania. I don't know the subtlties of the laws but I have friends who work for www.k12.com and PA will pay the K12.com tuition for home schoolers.