Quote:
I haven't been following it all well enough to know if ID has kept itself seperate from biblical Creationism as was intendnded, or if it has just become the same old debate.

IMHO, it has become the same old debate about Creationism. If it's simply an attempt to draw some metaphysical conclusions from the scientifically observable world, that's fine. But if that's the case, then why is it that ID folks seem so insistent on having ID taught as an alternative theory to evolution? From what I've been able to see of the ID vs. evolution argument, the preponderance of proponents of ID aren't seeking to say evolution is part of the Design, as any other bit of science would be considered -- they're seeking to replace the theory of evolution with ID.

Topical anecdote: about a month ago, I was in a grocery store, and witnessed a guy trying to hit on a trio of extremely attractive college co-eds. He wasn't doing too bad until he mentioned that he didn't believe in evolution ("Well, it's just a theory."), but did believe in ID. It torpedoed any chances with them. They didn't manage to hide their amusement ("Well, Einstein's theory of general realtivity is just a theory too, do you believe that?") completely, but they did refrain from laughing at him. Barely.