Quote:
Religion is very much a major part of humanity, and to avoid it at all costs is an extremism that I dislike.

I agree. What state should avoid is favoring one religion over others*. I, for example, think that banning any religious symbols in schools (be they clothing of Muslim girls, Jewish yarmulke or large cross pendant) in France and some other European countries is wrong. Religious symbols have no place on classroom wall, but what students wear should be a matter of their private decision.

As you say, religion (in all its variety) is a very important part of humanity, and not touching it in curriculum is obviously wrong. The trouble is, it is a very emotionally charged subject, and even the most historically and sociologically objective treatment of it (such as it is possible) is bound to offend many faithfuls.

Jeff's patience and good-natured attempts to explain what it is like being his flavor of a Christian (both doctrinary and emotionaly) is trully amazing. I was never able to discuss these matters in a similar way, not even with my Catholic brother.

*) I believe in equal treatment of all religions very strongly. We must not be tempted into adopting one religion as "the true" or official one, just because we happen to live in a region where it prevails statisitcally. Practicioners of other religions feel equally strongly about their faiths, and there are no "objective" criteria to favour one over any other. Of course, with some "faithful" we run into the recently discussed question of tollerance of intollerance...
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue