Quote:
I think Jeff overstates the lack of religion in schools.
All I know is that most of my friends who are or were teachers are VERY afraid of slipping up and getting fired. Perhaps they misunderstand what is and is not OK. I do know that in my high school, student led Christian organizations had to meet before school lest other students get confused with an organization meeting in a classroom after school and think that the school was endorsing the Christian religion. To me that is getting a little rediculouse (especially when Jewish organizations could mean whenever they wanted).

Quote:
but the notion that it's illegal to even mention religion in public school is incorrect and one that the religious right is likely to espouse, as it shows how we leftist big-government types are anti-Christian.
My understanding is that a teacher is not to talk about their personal faith with students, even if asked about it. I'll admit that I could be mistaken, but I know my friends who were teachers were under the same impression.

Quote:
Of course, most of the same would have a hissy-fit if students were equally exposed to Islam. Not Jeff, I'm sure.
Correct, this would not bug me in the least.