Quote:
Do you mean that teachers actively promote humanism, or just that they don't much talk about God
I think that is active, though not intentional. You see, when you leave religious teaching out, something has to fill that void. When you discuss literature then you discuss the philosophies found in the books. But only philosophies not tied to a specific religions are fair game here.

All throughout my education self-love and the teaching of humans as nobel creaters was emphasized. Not once did I experience a discussion that mankind was fallen and sinful, unless it was a historic footnote or an example of religious persecution. Yet I think Christianity is not alone in its view of humanity. So if we are being religiously neutral, why do we only get perspectives opposite to that which a great many in our country profess? I think the reason is that it is impossible to be neutral. We all have underlying philosophies, and when one group must stifle theirs and not discuss it, those with "acceptable" philosophies will be heard.

Quote:
outside religious education lessons?
There is no such thing as "religous education lessons" in our public schools.