Quote:
Exactly. And part of education is knowledge of what other people think and confronting opinions opposing your own. Assuming that Dylan's correct in his assessment that the college kids he refers to have so little experience with cultures other than their own as to not be able to comprehend them, those kids have been poorly educated. That doesn't mean that they have to agree with those other cultures (in fact, it may mean that they would disagree with them even more than they do by default now), but the notion that they have no comprehension of them is frightening. I have had more than my fair share of experience with provincials of this type, ranging from people who are otherwise idiots to people who are otherwise brilliant, and they are, one and all, frightening people.

Many Christians say a faith untested is no faith at all. I'd argue that any belief system, religious, philosophical, or political, untested, is no belief at all.
Agreed. At my school (Houston Baptist University, very much a conservative Christian university) they definitely taught non-Christian ideas and gave the students exposure, even though every one on the faculty was a professing Christian. I remember the president of the university teaching our bible study and explaining that this was intentional. He said even if a teaching wasn't consistent with Christianity, we still needed to know about it to be come well educated individuals.