Quote:
I think that it is inescapable for a person's personal philosophies to spill over into their teaching. It's part of the beauty of having a flesh and blood teacher rather than a computer or book. Yet we ask those of faith to stifle this part of themselves. It's an unrealistic expectation and a hinderence to letting childrent experience the true market of ideas that are out there.

If a teacher fails to teach their subject because he or she is preaching, that is a problem. If a teacher fails a student for not believing the right thing, that is a problem. But a teacher should be as free to talk about faith as they are their favorite football team or TV show. At least, that's what I think.

See, now this is where I have a problem. Isn't it great, for Christians at least, that there are probably* a whole helluvalot more Christian teachers than there are Jewish, Muslim or Buddhist ones? So then, if these teachers were allowed to talk about their faith in the classroom, wouldn't the faith of Christianity be "pushed" a whole lot more than any of the other faiths?

* I don't have any statistics on this, but I imagine that in the US, of those public school teachers who practice a faith, most are Christian?