Quote:
I think that it is inescapable for a person's personal philosophies to spill over into their teaching. It's part of the beauty of having a flesh and blood teacher rather than a computer or book. Yet we ask those of faith to stifle this part of themselves. It's an unrealistic expectation and a hinderence to letting childrent experience the true market of ideas that are out there.

I have no intention of getting involved in the basic issues of this discussion. But I noticed this assumption hadn't been addressed yet, so...

Computers and books don't fall off trees, already full of perfectly unbiased information. If the information from those sources is less biased than a flesh-and-blood teacher, it's only because of collaborative input and editing.

The "beauty" of a live teacher isn't personality, it's personalized interactivity. Books and computers can't adapt to satisfy an individual student's needs. The fact that this so often lends a personal bias to the subject taught is an unfortunate consequence, not beautiful.