Quote:
You're worried that schoolchildren will believe that the metaphysics in a book about wizards is an accurate depiction of the real world's metaphysics?
Just to be clear, no, that's not my concern. I'm looking at the greater themes of the book, as Bitt points out later. And I'm not really concerned even that this theme would be explored- I think that non-Christian themes should be explored. I just think that Christian themse (and muslim themes, etc.) should be explored as well. I've read all of the books that Bitt talks about and recognize the themes of each and am glad that I've seen those perspectives.

"The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" would be a great example of a book with a Christian theme, and if Bitt is correct that that book is taught in school it kind of deflates my argument quite a bit. It's about as hardcore Christian allegory as it gets.

Quote:
Does failing to discuss the elves-don't-really-exist viewpoint damage literary discussion of The Lord Of The Rings, or make the discussion dangerous in some way?
It would have been really cool to do LOTR in high school, but I doubt anyone does. There are Christian and non-Christian themes throughout that would be really neat to explore.

Quote:
I still think you're imagining a conspiracy where none exists.
Let me be clear on this- I DON'T believe that there is a conspiracy. I think the current siutation is not what it should be, but I don't believe it is by anyone's overt actions. It is the result of some (I think) faulty notions being implemented in our schools.

Quote:
I don't know what the breaks are in US Christianity, but here in the UK both Catholicism and fundamentalist Protestantism (i.e. the denominations who are very big on about inherent wickedness) are in the minority compared to liberal Protestant denominations, many of whom downplay that sort of remark by Paul.
Inherent wickedness is consistent with orthodox teaching that many churches follow. You tune into a Christian music station or go to a Christian bookstore and most of the products will follow this theology.