Quote:
Well, you're missing my point here, I think. I was trying to put you and I on the same side here.

Ah. I see what you mean. The difference being that what I'm talking about are provable scientific facts and what you're talking about are things that are, well, not. There are any number of things that I believe in on a personal level that I would want to instill in my children (if I had any or, in general, didn't despise children) but that I also believe have virtually no place in school. Of course, these are mostly things that I find entertaining as opposed to things that define how I should live my life.

I won't argue that it fails a lot of the time, but the point of school is to teach not facts so much as to how to learn. Okay, it fails most of the time, but that is what it should aspire to. Teaching faith (which you've already implied many times is impossible, anyway) doesn't fit in that curriculum. In order to teach faith, you have to simply tell students "this is how it is" without any sort of evidence.

Look at it this way: if you didn't have the (manmade) Bible to reference, how could you posit God from what you observe? I guess the point of ID is that some God must exist, otherwise where would all these amazing things have come from. But isn't that just taking the easy way out? You've decided that it's unknowable so you don't bother to look any further. What if people decided that magnets pointed towards the North simply because God made it so, ignoring the huge science of electromagnetism? Again, I have no problem with saying that God made the rules that made electromagnetism happen, but jumping the gun ignores a lot of observable information. In fact, if you're assuming that God exists and created the universe in general, simply saying "God made this" is never incorrect, is it? But there's so much more to be seen. Why would He have created this amazing place and then want us to ignore its beautiful details?

But this whole "easy way out" is a lot of what bothers me about modern Christianity. There's sort of a new Calvinism going on that has this notion that "God will sort it all out" and it implies an avoidance of personal reponsibility. That's obviously not the case with you or your compatriots here, but it is for a lot of people I observe. But that's more off the topic.