Quote:
Ok, here's an example. We studied "A Wizard of Earthsea". Don't know how many of you have read it. The main theme of the story is that we can't divorce ourselves from our evil side, so we must join our evil and good to become whole. So here we have this philosophy that we discussed quite a bit, had to underline in the book and whatnot. Fine, it's important to learn to read for themes and understand what an author is saying. I'm all for that, and the tale wasn't that bad. But certainly we can explore some themes that disagree and say it is our responsibility to excise our dark sides and that only then can we be whole. Yet that idea was not discussed. So you emphasize a non-Christian theme (that we must learn to embrace the darkness within us) and leave out the Christian theme (that only by ridding ourselves of darkness can we be made whole). So now we have by default emphasized a non-Christian theme in literature.

A Wizard Of Earthsea? I haven't read it, but, with, like, wizards and stuff? You're worried that schoolchildren will believe that the metaphysics in a book about wizards is an accurate depiction of the real world's metaphysics? I mean, yes at a certain age you need to explain to kids that Peter Pan isn't real, so the kids don't attempt flying from the top of the wardrobe, but that isn't really the age of kids we're talking about here.

Surely the whole point of fantasy literature is to depict fictional metaphysics? Does failing to discuss the elves-don't-really-exist viewpoint damage literary discussion of The Lord Of The Rings, or make the discussion dangerous in some way?

I still think you're imagining a conspiracy where none exists. Or is it the very idea that Christian metaphysics is only one of many, many different possible worldviews that worries you here?

Quote:
But if you want real proof, how about this: When I say things like "Christianity teaches the people are inherintly wicked", I almost always get shocked looks and responses (like above in this thread). Yet that has been a core tenet of Christiantiy since the first centry (and arguably even before that). So why are people shocked to hear it now when most of the U.S. professes Christianity?

I don't know what the breaks are in US Christianity, but here in the UK both Catholicism and fundamentalist Protestantism (i.e. the denominations who are very big on about inherent wickedness) are in the minority compared to liberal Protestant denominations, many of whom downplay that sort of remark by Paul.

Peter