Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Originally Posted By: msaeger
He was saying they need to be that price for the mass market to really use them because you won't just throw a 500 dollar device in a bag and not be worried about damage and theft but a 50 dollar one you would.

I agree and it's what I've been saying since the first e-readers came out, long before the iPad news. The iPad is just the final nail in the coffin for these products at their current prices. So it may be fantastic news for those who want e-ink at reasonable prices.

Um...you're being contradictory here. You're agreeing with him that ebook readers have been too expensive to throw in a bag, but you think the $500+ iPad is the final nail in the coffin because of it? Or were you combining two thoughts into one there?

And Matt, I don't know what you're speaking to specifically, but the Kindle is not $500, the iPad is (well, it starts there). The Kindle is $259. The only place my wife doesn't want to take it is ON the beach. She'll take it with her when she goes to read it on the boardwalk or on the room's balcony, but you wouldn't want to get sand in it. This would be the same for the iPad.