Originally Posted By: RobotCaleb
What do you want it to save? The phone doesn't do anything. It just draws information received from Google. Do you want it to store all map tiles at all zoom levels as you drive?

I don't need it to load satellite views, but why couldn't it load all the roads in the general direction you'll be going? Or even pre-load just the roads on your route (it might already do that, I don't know). Why couldn't they do that? Would it be so difficult? It's Google, I think they have some smart people there who could figure an algorithm to decide what data to load before you set out.

Quote:
Its GPS capability only goes so far as to report a location.

I'm not sure what you thought I was saying. Did you think I thought it should load data over GPS? These phones, unlike a nav-only device, have almost-constant data connections, so in fact I'd expect them to be even better at their jobs.

When it comes down to it, these phones have more capabilities than a traditional GPS. And if I have an 8GB card in my phone, or all that space on an iPhone, why shouldn't I be able to preload a simple route, or even an entire city, or region, or country? My GPS in my Honda Odyssey had the streets and addresses for the entire country on a single DVD. Sure, that's at most 4.7GB (though I doubt it took up the whole disc), and Google maps has a lot more data than that Nav did, but I don't see why you couldn't load an entire city on your phone. Like I said in my post, I get the impression that the Garmin phone already does this, so what are you arguing?

Edited by Dignan (24/05/2010 11:24)