Of course you guys are right about getting an app to use Google Reader. I have to do the same on my Android phones, so I don't know why I didn't think of that. I expect more from the web browsing experience on this form factor, though.

I'd have to see the app you mention in action, Andy. I have my preferred way of reading Reader, and so far I haven't seen any apps that accommodate me.

Originally Posted By: drakino
*edit* Looks like two finger scrolling works when using the desktop version of Google Reader. Seems a bit odd, but I'm so far out of web development these days I can't explain why this is necessary.

I'm not sure why this is necessary either. I didn't try that though. I'll give it a shot if I drop by the store again.

Quote:
My coworker here said he's been using the mobile site, and is quite pleased with it so far.

Then your coworker and I do not use Google Reader the same way. I view it in expanded mode, and either scroll through the stories or skip through them with J and K. I find this the best way to skim the stories. The mobile won't take any advantage of that larger screen. Hopefully Google will update it like they did GMail, which does look good on the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Dignan
I believe I've also found another defense for the trackball on my Nexus One. I just tried to go back up in my post to change or add something, and I can't. Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the iPhone OS to know how, but it certainly isn't clear to me.

Again your trying to apply desktop computing concepts to a touch based device. Just touch where you want to put the cursor.

Sorry, but you're misunderstanding me. I was typing a long post in a text box. Eventually I typed more than the text box could display at one time. I had no idea how to go back up to the text that had gone off-screen, and I started to feel extremely frustrated as a result. On a computer you would just manipulate the text box's scroll bar. On Android, you still have 4-way directional motion available to you at all times, and I think it's intuitive to use the scroll ball to move around something like that. You might say that I just had to use two-finger scrolling. If so, then I'd say that's not intuitive, it's having a familiarity with the OS and guessing at the interface method they want you to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Lastly, as I suspected this thing is just short of an ergonomic nightmare. I've been typing this I landscape mode, and having to tilt my neck or lower my eyes to look at text directly above the keyboard is starting to hurt. I'd say this is an average amount of writing, and I can't imagine typing more than a couple sentences on this. I haven't tried the dock, though, so that might help.

I'm a big fan of the Apple case now, as it does provide a non flat typing angle with the full landscape keyboard, and that helps quite a bit. If I was going to type out a whole document though, I'd reach for a real keyboard, and conveniently bluetooth ones just work.

I don't think that would address my concerns. The displays at Best Buy were tilted, and that's how I was using it. It has nothing to do with the angle, anyway. It has to do with the proximity of the keyboard to the text you're typing. I'd wager that ergonomics experts are not fans of computing in this fashion smile

I wanted to add something else: I keep hearing about how iPhone apps look just fine on this thing in 2x mode. Are these people smoking something? I tried a half dozen apps on the device, and sadly almost no iPad-specific apps were loaded onto it, which I think is a major mistake on Best Buy/Apple's part. I tried basic apps like IMDb and games like some Need For Speed game. All of them were pixelated as all get-out. I had to stop looking at the IMDb app as it bothered me how bad it looked. Then if you put it in 1x mode, it looks ridiculously tiny on that big screen. And am I wrong, but even in 2x, it doesn't actually fill the screen, does it? It looked like there was about a half-inch or more border on all sides...