Originally Posted By: Dignan
Quote:
My coworker here said he's been using the mobile site, and is quite pleased with it so far.

Then your coworker and I do not use Google Reader the same way. I view it in expanded mode, and either scroll through the stories or skip through them with J and K. I find this the best way to skim the stories.

He explained his usage as going in, and being able to quickly glance over all the summaries. Then if one interested him, he tapped it. Otherwise, one full swipe on the screen resulted in him skimming past 40 or so entries at a time. He does use it on the desktop with J and K (Why is it J and K for previous/next instead of arrow keys?)

Sorry, but you're misunderstanding me. I was typing a long post in a text box. Eventually I typed more than the text box could display at one time. I had no idea how to go back up to the text that had gone off-screen, and I started to feel extremely frustrated as a result. On a computer you would just manipulate the text box's scroll bar. On Android, you still have 4-way directional motion available to you at all times, and I think it's intuitive to use the scroll ball to move around something like that. You might say that I just had to use two-finger scrolling. If so, then I'd say that's not intuitive, it's having a familiarity with the OS and guessing at the interface method they want you to use.

Ahh, ok, that makes more sense. And yes, it seems the answer is two finger scrolling there as well (I actually didn't know either initially). As for whats more intuitive, it all depends on what you already know. Scrollbars are just as alien to computer users coming from text environments as some of these new touch based gestures are to GUI users.

The displays at Best Buy were tilted, and that's how I was using it. It has nothing to do with the angle, anyway. It has to do with the proximity of the keyboard to the text you're typing. I'd wager that ergonomics experts are not fans of computing in this fashion smile

Probably not. Though I'm thinking the on screen stuff is there mostly for quick entry anyhow, and not really great for extended use. I still find the case handy, as it does put the iPad up at enough of an angle to see it. I've been putting it below my main monitor at home, and using it as a second machine to browse while waiting on something in Warcraft to happen. The other stand orientation works well for sitting it on the edge of my nightstand to watch a show.

I wanted to add something else: I keep hearing about how iPhone apps look just fine on this thing in 2x mode. Are these people smoking something?

Yeah, the iPhone apps running on the iPad are a joke for the most part. Some games work ok going up to 2x, but normal apps just look horrible. The iPads at the Apple store all had a ton of native apps loaded for demo purposes. Initially the iPad pulled in all my iPhone apps as well during the first sync. I've since gone back and deleted nearly all of them, only saving a few like Skype and Beejive, both likely to see universal builds soon.