It helps consumers because now developers are prohibited from collecting any data without express permission from the customer using the application. As As developer, you must include a permission request in your app if you want to collect data.

Incidentally, while Apple's WWDC is targeted at developers, as a company, their customers are end-users. Developers come a very distant second to the average joe consumer.

Making data collection more transparent and opt-in is good for the consumer.

Doug... I'm confident that the current Nav vendors will eventually update their apps to take advantage of the iPad's larger screen. I wouldn't expect TomTom to be first, but perhaps one of their competitors like Navigon will have it soon. Unfortunately I don't have any idea what their maps for Mexico are like.

I did use a Garmin Nuvi extensively the last time I was in Portugal and its maps were a little bit out of date, but generally very good for everywhere I went (and I was on some pretty small back roads in places with a population of less than 50). Map detail in other European countries is even better from casual browsing (though I didn't do any nav outside of Portugal). From what I remember, the Nuvi did offer the option of picking from multiple matches when it found them. There were a lot of things to complain about otherwise with the Nuvi though. smile