Originally Posted By: tonyc
That said, all is fair in love and war, so I don't have a problem with someone pointing out the disconnect between the marketing and the actual performance. Maybe it is just because of Apple's market share, or their "smugness" or whatever, but it's a legit criticism, and no matter how nitpicky it is, I'm glad someone out there is pointing this out so people can make an informed decision -- and I hope somewhere there's an Apple fanboy doing the same thing to police the Android marketing materials.

Go too far though in pointing out things about a screen, or responses to 3G issues, and it can push people here over the edge... :-) I guess in a way I'm at the same point Bitt was. It does seem at times the nitpicks go so far into the pointless category on either side. To me, readability of text on a screen or 3G reception are far more important things to discuss, compared to a 20 pixel shift in a screenshot in ads. But I suppose everyone has their different priorities. And I think we can all be thankful Palm is no longer using creepy looking ladies to advertise their phone :-)

Originally Posted By: tonyc
In other words, Apple could very well be the next Microsoft, and it's totally legit for people who are concerned about Apple's increasing control over the platform to criticize that trend.

They could indeed be the next Microsoft, and if they ever get to that point, I'll likely reconsider what I use at that time. The future is unknown though, and for now I see a clear exit path from their devices and ecosystem. As long as that path exist, I'm not going to be very vocal about any "monopolistic" practices Apple may or may not be doing because I don't see it as a problem yet. And today, their devices suit my needs very well. With Microsofts actions in the 90s, that exit path was very obstructed with a mix of illegal monopoly actions, and proprietary formats built around the lock-in principal. This in a time that I found Windows 95 very flawed compared to the competition of the era that didn't have a chance. With Apple, the only true lock-in I feel is the DRM on their iTunes videos and I respond accordingly by limiting how much I use that service. Their music is portable to other platforms, as is all of my critical data due to their use of standards. And their current OS does well on both their computers and mobile devices.

Originally Posted By: JeffS
With Apple, though, I just feels like with the iPhone/iPod/Apple TV I have some apps and content that are becoming irreplaceable to me (or difficult anyway).

This is why I don't try to become too attached to any of their services clearly locked down to their environment. Most of it is movable to another platform though. Apps are about the only investment I'd lose if I were to change phones to an Android device. Movie wise, I still buy the stuff I want to keep long term in another format, usually BluRay these days. Most come with digital copies for playback on all the iDevices, so I don't even have to try and rip it myself.

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
To be blunt, what Microsoft did was almost certainly illegal, whereas what Apple is doing is almost certainly not.

That "almost certainly" part was enough for the Department of Justice and the European Union to go after Microsoft. The US case ended without an absolute guilty verdict, but it was a "you did wrong, and heres the punishment" type of situation. The DOJ even has current updates. I think had the election gone differently in 2000, Microsoft would have been in pieces today. Nothing Apple has done (business wise) has gone beyond an inquiry by various government agencies. They did have their stock grant issue though.

(Been carrying this reply forward for nearly 4 hours now, better post before more appears :-)