Originally Posted By: andy
I far prefer the portrait keyboard to the landscape one. The landscape one just takes up too much space and I understand completely why most app writers don't go to the trouble of supporting it.

One thing the iPhone really needs is a switch to disable screen rotation. It is a total pain when laying in bed reading/typing and the rotation keys kicking in.

I'll agree with that last point. I'm surprised that nobody has thought of a solution to that one yet. When I'm lying on the couch watching TV and want to check a new email, it's very annoying to turn on the phone and have it rotate.

But I can only meet you halfway on the previous point and concede that it's a matter of personal preference. To me, your description of how to get used to the portrait iPhone keyboard sounds maddening. Personally, I want to minimize the chances I'll hit the wrong key, and that's why I prefer the landscape keyboard on EITHER phone platform.

And by the way, I'm trying to compare apples to apples here. I'm a tad surprised at all the people who in one paragraph say "oh, you get used to the iPhone portrait keyboard," and in the next say "I only used the Android keyboard for a minute, but I really didn't like it." You can't get a good impression of either phone in a couple minutes or even a couple hours of use.

I'll admit that the Android method can seem a tad herky jerky. The idea is that instead of typing continuously and your mistakes are corrected (or you have to go back later and correct them), you're presented with suggestions. Granted, this does take one of your fingers off the keyboard, but I'd estimate that for about half of the words it really does a better job at speeding things along (and lets you use some longer words that you might not use otherwise smile ).