Originally Posted By: wfaulk
None of those problems have any relevance to your initial claim. I'm asking you why installing apps to SD is inferior to installing them to builtin storage.

I never made that claim. In fact, I specifically called out that using SD for storing apps, as a permanently installed alternative to NVRAM, was about its only good use. However that use is currently not possible.

Originally Posted By: bruno

I can see its uses for data storage, but installing apps on SD is really only a replacement for built-in NVRAM. It's like using a DVDRW instead of a hard drive (ignoring read/write speed). I don't know if there's ever a situation in which I'd want to remove my SD card and lose access to a number of apps in the process.

Originally Posted By: bruno
Having a swappable SD slot is certainly very nice, if it's in a convenient, hopefully externally accessible, location. Great for data, such as pictures, etc. But internally it's really just a swappable HD equivalent. How often will you want to swap your HD? Usually only when upgrading. You certainly don't want to be doing that to move from one set of apps to another.

Given that it's not possible, and given the stupid location of many SD slots, the SD card option on many of these phones has been totally useless. Again, because the inability to quickly swap cards makes them rather pointless for swapping data, like pictures from the camera, etc.

Once SD can be fully utilized as real built-in storage, it will be a fine alternative to soldered NVRAM and gives you the option (also as I've previously mentioned) of upgrading your storage capacity without upgrading to a new handset. However, I also mentioned that at the rate most phones are replaced, this isn't much of a concern. Someone will probably upgrade to a new phone in step with the release of larger capacity SD cards and/or the ability of the old phone to actually use those cards.

So, having had real built-in storage right from the start would have benefitted customers using Android handsets for over a year now. And for many would have benefitted them for 6 months to possibly another year - how long is going to take Froyo to get onto current handsets? How long will it take to revise every application installed already?

Edited by hybrid8 (25/05/2010 12:15)