To get decent close-up pictures with an iPhone you'll need a 3gs model or a hack-ish attachment lens for the older models.

I don't recall a consumer digicam that produces results as bad as those from the camera on the N1.

Whether the issues can be fixed in software or not, which I did say they likely could, it's a testament to the fundamental development and release philosophies of Google versus Apple and others.

The deficiencies in the camera and photo app are obvious and more could have been done to remedy the issue prior to release.

I'm still waiting to see a real Google phone, because frankly, the Nexus 1 is really just an HTC. A decently spec'd phone, but it's just not a tight and well integrated software/hardware package like people were speculating long ago.

Android to me, just currently seems very half-assed. I really want to see some stronger competition for the iPhone because unless Apple feels itself being squeezed it's not going to do as much as it possibly can to improve the iPhone. Which in turn means we can end up in the same state the industry was in a little while ago, with a boat-load of half-assed products.