Time to burst some bubble Matt... wink (remember this smiley)

Originally Posted By: Dignan
the Droid (which sold a little more than the iPhone in the first 74 days, BTW wink

Motorola has only Apple to thank for their numbers. If it wasn't for the iPhone, that product would not exist. If it wasn't for the iPhone, the public would not be interested in that type of product to the same degree. If it weren't for the iPhone, people wouldn't have picked up the Droid thinking it was just "the next best thing." Apple had to tread into a completely new market and establish a new standard. That's the reason new products can come around and do better "first X days" sales - but they can't catch up.

Quote:
However, as the Google fanboy I am, I'll point out that this is without the giant advertising campaigns of those two phones, without the ability for consumers to even touch the phone before purchase,

This reminds me of another product. Yes, the iPad. Have you seen the estimates on how many have been pre-ordered? iPad numbers are going to blow away Android numbers very quickly. I won't be surprised to find out that the iPad has at some point in the future overtaken the iPhone. Oh, the iPad starts at $500.

Quote:
Besides, Google isn't banking their success on the Nexus One.

That's a given. It's not like it's even their phone. It's just another generic HTC handset. And that's the problem. Google should be treating the product like they were banking their future on it. Unfortunately Google's apparent apathy toward their own product and the platform by some accounts, doesn't do much to inspire developers nor consumers for the products/platform.

Quote:
This isn't like Palm.

True, but Palm has a better product in some ways, certainly more attractive. But it was too little too late.

Quote:
Pretty soon Google will have a Nexus One that works with all four major US carriers, and that's a big deal.

They will? I've never seen a phone support GSM *and* CDMA. Maybe you mean multiple hardware versions of a branded "handset."

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see the sales rate increase from here.

The iPhone weekly sales will still outpace Google's quarterly sales.

Everyone that pumps up these other products, and continues to bad-mouth Apple, always fails to realize (or simply ignore) that the iPhone is a platform and it's not standing still.

Apple called out the "competition" when they launched, which put a huge target on their back. Basically saying everyone else's faces, "YOU SUCK." They went so far as to show images of other products. And the best the competition could do is try to copy the look of the handset. They still pretty much keep making the same mistakes they always have though. I have yet to see an "iPhone killer" that even deserves to be called an "iPhone alternative."

Now MS is trying to toe the line (as well), but as usual they've missed the (entire) boat.

Quote:
I am super excited to get my phone.

Let us know how it turns out long-term for you. That's the biggest measure of the platform or any given product. Right now, most people with an Android phone can't even get a semi-current OS for their handset.