I mostly agree with the hardware section, with a few exceptions. I don't have the problem in sunlight that most people seem to. The notion that "Menu" and "Back" are not universal functions is ridiculous. I can agree with "search". I almost never use that button. The trackball is good for moving your text cursor around, but otherwise I totally agree with his point there. (It does also double as an indicator light, though, which he doesn't mention.) He mentions that rebooting the N1 takes a "long, long time." He's clearly never used a Blackberry. I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say that Android's text looks bad. I think it looks quite good.

I will add one additional complaint. Since the touch sensitivity of the screen goes right to the edge and the screen goes right to the edge of the phone, you have to hold the edges of the phone while you're using it, which can be awkward and not exactly secure.

I think he's way off base on the software section, though. I didn't miss the multitouch at all, and now that it's there, I barely use it. I find it an awkward UI at best. I won't argue that scroll bounce isn't a reasonable UI feature, but it's just barely a step above eye candy. I can understand how if you're used to it that the lack of it would be misleading, but simply not having it at all is totally unconcerning.

My biggest problem with his post, though, is his complete dismissal of multitasking, and it highlights an Apple thought process that annoys the crap out of me: the "most people don't" notion. It's pervasive in Apple's software design, and it's the biggest reason that a large portion of people eschew Apple software, even under MacOS. They've already decided what you want to do, and if you don't fit their notion, there's no poking or prodding that will resolve it. It's not off by default; it's just not there. There are at least seven instances where he thinks something is bad because "most" don't have any use for it (one of those being, admittedly, in the iPhone's favor), and several other instances where features are labelled extraneous because of his lack of need.

Anyway: multitasking. I'll fall back on my most noted problem with lack of multitasking on devices of this sort. If I can't background my SSH application, I can't effectively use it, assuming that I might need to reference an email, or some notes, or a web page, or anything. He seems to have something of a misunderstanding of process management under Android, too. Applications that are still running certainly do continue to consume resources, but the application developers can mark their applications as to the level of background support needed. Some can request to never be closed, as with services, some can request higher priority, etc. And Android will kill programs as needed. That is, if you leave your browser open in the background and you need more memory, it will kill the browser process to provide it to you. By and large, you don't need to worry about process management at all. The one time that it's caused me a problem is when I was running Google Sky and I left it in the foreground with the phone "off". Since it was the foreground app, Android wouldn't kill it and it drained my battery very quickly.

The software problem he didn't note is that all apps are stored in built-in flash, and you can't use the SD card to store apps. I think I understand why: you don't want your apps, especially your preferred apps, to go away because you removed your SD card. That said, it's annoying.