My point is that Google has released a firmware update to deal with the 3G issues. People still complain about it. Google has said that they've done all they're doing.

If you replace "Google" with "Apple", that pretty much describes how the iPhone 3G saga fell out. Except Apple never said word one. Google is at least saying that the level of service, whatever the level and whatever the cause of that level, is in no way guaranteed to get any better, so return the phone if you're unhappy.

Notably, it doesn't say "we confirmed that there's a hardware issue that we're ignoring". Nor does it say "it's T-Mobile's fault". What it does seem to imply is: "There was a problem and we fixed it. We do not currently believe that there are still problems with the phone."

I have mine running on a network other than the one it's designed for, so I don't get 3G anyway. I have no way to confirm or deny any part of the story.

There is an endemic problem in corporate America today where companies feel that they have no reason to communicate with their customers. Both Apple and Google, among many, many others, are guilty of it. Google at least put out something.