Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I think the proper solution may be to simply drop multitouch. Of course, this is just my bias since I find multitouch to be an awkward interface anyway. I do use the de-pinch gesture, but only because it allows me to choose the zoom level easily. I still have no idea how it chooses the point to zoom in on, so I always have to pan after the fact, whereas double-tapping doesn't require me to do that, but it zooms in some predetermined amount.

Multitouch is useful outside gestures. Take for example typing. I don't have to slow down my typing on my iPhone to make sure only one finger is actually on the device. Without proper multitouch, it's possible for letters to be dropped due to the second finger either being ignored, or other just as bad situations that would slow me down.

The iPhone has a very distinct feel to it when used, hinted at in the article I posted earlier about an iPhone developer trying out a Nexus One. It's sometimes hard to quantify, but tends to be a combination of lots of little things that are highly polished that come together to form the complete experience. The multitouch ability of the device is definitely part of that. If Google wants to release a device/OS on par with the iPhone experience, they need to fix these issues and polish other rough edges. Otherwise, anyone trying to switch from an iPhone to an Android device is just going to be frustrated and not likely give the platform a second chance later.