Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I know Tony is talking about Windows, how about you Andy?

Windows and Mac, same behaviour seen on multiple machines.

My iPod Touch is set up for manual management and I have accessed it from multiple iTunes databases on multiple computers for about 2 years now. When migrating from one computer to another you get all your iTunes settings moved as well.

My phone it set to manual, my wife's it set to auto. Whenever I had connected either one to a new iTunes install it always wants to delete everything. One unwise button click or key press and it would all be gone (if I remember rightly the "yes delete everything" is even the default button in the dialog).

Last time I actually tried moving my iTunes library it was even more painful. So much so that at the moment I have an image of my old laptop running in VMWare just so I can put off migrating my iTunes library...

There are a lot of hiccups with the iTunes environment, but IMO, they're a lot easier to get around and the one we're talking about now is a once in a while thing for most people, unlike a software update which can be multiple times per year.

I would agree with that completely about the software update side of things. It drove me mad that there was no way* on WinMo to backup everything and restore it after a firmware update. That iTunes can even do it across different device models is kind of magical.

* sure there were some third party backups apps, but in my experience they didn't always work so well