Google had better start shining up and loading their guns as they're going to need to face off against Microsoft, and make it bloody, very very soon.

Microsoft claims Android violates its pa...licensing deal.

If Microsoft is left unchecked to approach Android licensees directly, the OS is going to be in real trouble long-term. HTC is now paying Microsoft an unspecified sum to be able to ship Google's OS.

Google needs to force the issue right now and put it all to rest, allowing other current and future licensees to proceed unencumbered and without fear of being attacked once their products are established, and once the (potential) licensing requests build up to a business-crippling level.

Microsoft still wields some pretty big fists, but they've been struggling to move and maintain agility in many markets, including mobile. Preventing or crippling the release of their new mobile OS would be my first salvo if I were in Google's shoes. Maybe it's time to start firing up some additional IP acquisitions if necessary to strengthen the armory.

I can see why Microsoft is going this route, seeing many of its WinMO licensees moving to Android. In the end, MS wants these companies to pay them regardless of what platform they ship. It's also a way for them to try and twist the manufacturers into staying with or increasing their WinMo/WinPhone portfolio. It's easy pickings going after the relatively weak manufacturers, since most of them don't have the in-depth knowledge of the OS that Google obviously does. They also don't necessarily have the deep pockets nor their own large patent portfolio to be able to put up a fight. I guess Google doesn't offer an indemnity clause with their OS license. I can see this significantly hurting Android.

I also see Apple being completely safe with regards to this patent turmoil. MS would be opening up a serious can of worms if they chose to even stare sternly in Apple's direction. Something I don't think they can afford to do, as I believe the best they could hope for is a stale-mate. In fact, I strongly believe Apple would stand a good chance of dominating them in such a fight. Anyway, there are just too many "nukes" to make such a fight worthwhile for either of these two companies.

Edited by hybrid8 (28/04/2010 14:54)