I'm pretty certain I'm getting one, but not for myself. The iPad does everything my grandmother wants out of a computer (including allowing photos to be loaded on it), so it's an easy sell for me. Especially since I know she has been wanting a book reader as well.

The Kindle DX is dead at this point for a lot of markets Amazon wanted. A college student wanting all their textbooks on a device can pay $489 for a 9.7 inch eink display, or $499 for an LED lit IPS LCD, along with a more capable device.

Originally Posted By: Cris
It also seems to be much bigger than it should be, ok it's thin but there is a clear inch around the screen on each side. I'd rather it be twice the thickness and be all screen on the front, with just a few mm making up the surround.

That was probably intentional to allow easier handling of the device. All the ebook readers have similar borders.

As for myself, I'm still not sure. I'm going to have to hold one, and also see what apps come out. Up till now, developers were targeting the iPhone and making appropriate mobile apps. Now they have a much bigger target (screen wise), more desktop apps will likely come out.

There are still a lot of unknowns here too. Can it run apps in the background? Something tells me no at launch, but yes once 4.0 rolls out this summer.

I do think the device may become very popular around the office for producers. One of them perked up quite a bit when iWork was announced for it. Add in a good Remote Desktop/Screen Sharing app to get back to their desktop in their office, and it becomes very useful to just grab the iPad and have handy while talking to people.