I don't think either were revolutionary. Nor do I think mythical or magical. I'm far too jaded for that. wink

While I don't think either the iPhone/iPod Touch nor iPad are magical nor mythical, I do believe they are revolutionary. At least that the iPhone/iPod are and the iPad will be. I'm jaded, so I don't often say "wow" - but I can usually see the bigger picture. And as far as the iPhone goes, it's already recorded as part of history.

But seriously Bitt, you didn't watch the keynote, it's obvious. My impression was "meh" but even with all my jaded experience in these industries, I can clearly see where there are benefits and many obvious differentiators. Here's one morsel: None of the iPad versions of the default apps, other than Safari, look anything at all like the iPhone/iPod versions.

I took away a lot more from watching the keynote than any of the press or blog coverage I checked out this morning. And I completely trust that the device is even more impressive when used first-hand. I doubt I'd have to wipe any drool or lift my jaw from the floor, but I suspect I'd think the thing was marginally cooler than it seems to be via online keynote viewing. But again, that's just me. I'm confident many other people will be far more impressed.

BTW, did you take the same stand with the cornucopia of eBook readers?

There are going to be overlaps in the categories. But the best way to look at it is that the iPhone and iPod touch are less powerful scaled-down tablets. Not the other way around. It's not for me and it sounds like it's not for you. BUt it's for a lot of other people. Do I think I could come up with some stuff to make it even cooler? Sure. That doesn't matter though, lots of people can do that too. It won't detract from what it is today versus what else is out there (and coming in the next 6 months)

My biggest criticism of Apple for yesterday's announcement? The name of the product. It's already been trademarked by Fujitsu in 2002, including an application to register that mark. If Apple wanted to object to the mark on grounds it was to similar to iPod they should have done it years ago. But to object today is ridiculous. Everyone else noticed that Apple isn't claiming a trademark on iPad at the moment, right? Have the creativity to come up with something better and if you don't at least have the balls to just bloody pay Fujitsu a one-time license.

Edited by hybrid8 (28/01/2010 21:08)