Originally Posted By: hybrid8
within a few short weeks of its release, it will already have more software written specifically targeting it than currently exists for Android and WebOS - combined.

Really? Over 26,000 apps in two months? That's on the order of a thousand apps a day. Apple doesn't currently come close to approving that many apps a day, and there are only about 150,000 apps total.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Apple has already been able to complete upset Amazon's eBook business. On multiple fronts and multiple times.

The only thing I've seen is that Amazon has restructured their payments. They're still making a good bit of money on it. Oh, and, MacMillan pulled out. I'm not sure how those are "complete upset"s.

Again with the NYT story. It's a speculative story about the different cultures between Apple and Google, using the iPad as an example. There's really nothing malicious about Apple in that story at all. Your perception of that story says more than the story itself does. Also, now you're talking about perception of the NYT. Your argument just keeps moving and moving and moving. The only thing that the story really said was that Apple is a closed shop and Google is an open shop. That is a fairly accurate assessment. It doesn't even place any particular value on one over the other.

Honestly, I'd be happy to see Flash go away. But it is totally relevant to today's Internet. I don't think Apple (or anyone else) is being intentionally disingenuous about the lack of Flash, but "Flash" doesn't mean a thing to the grandma/technophobe/luddite set. All they know is that when the go to Hulu or Fox.com or ABC.com or wherever to view the "whole internet", as Apple used to claim, it's not going to work, and they're going to be pissed.

And I'm not as sure as you are about Flash's demise. There will be entities that want people to be able to watch their video but not download their video. I don't think that there's any way to do DRM with HTML5 video. I could be wrong. But until there is, Flash, or some other extrastandard extension, will be required.