Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: Dignan
I was merely pointing out the immediate contradiction in Jobs' statement that "netbooks aren't good at anything; they're just cheap laptops." That statement alone is contradictory, as long as you define cheap as merely "less expensive."

The problem is, when you remove the first part of the statement trying to define the third product category, the second part is out of context. It was said to help define what a third category would be, and that (in Apple's eyes) a netbook fails to fill that role. If Apple released a MacBook Mini, it would just be a cheep laptop in their lineup that performed worse then a full laptop, and not a third product category they are trying to create with the iPad.

Argh! They were two completely different observations! Don't read into it so much. I was analyzing a statement because I enjoy that kind of stupid thing. It nothing to do with categorization and everything to do with pricing! Sheesh!

And nowhere in your reasoned, logical explanation why you chose the Air over a netbook do you even touch upon the issue of spending FIVE TIMES as much money.