Originally Posted By: wfaulk

Actually, what do I mean "would be"? I mean is.

Finally someone mentions a product. But it's more expensive than the iPad, not much cheaper as that tool from the Giz comments claimed. It does have some different specs, but including a camera, but it lacks an accelerometer. A good try though, possibly one of the best examples out there in fact.

Quote:
Part of this argument is that while the convertible tablets from PC manufacturers, like, say, the HP TouchSmart tm2t, the Lenovo ThinkPad X200 Tablet, or the Dell Latitude XT2 may cost more (a lot in most cases), they are able to do basically everything that the iPad can, plus have very desirable features that the iPad is unable to replicate.

There's no argument about what they can do compared to a typical notebook. There's also no argument about how well they've done in the marketplace and how well other tablets have done. Later this year there will be no argument about how the iPad has stacked up.

There's no point in mentioning netbooks.

Perfect example quote from something I'd written earlier. I still stand by that. No one would buy this thing if it was only able to work as a web browser. This is a real platform based on a proven API however. With already more than 140k apps available. And is the iPad anything like the JooJoo? Yeah, it has a screen and is for the most part a tablet. That's about where the similarities end. I'm exaggerating slightly, but go read the specs. There's a lot more going for the iPad. And at the same price. And you know, the iPad is a real product and all, not just text on a web page.

Which brings me back to why I actually came online. I was going to quote myself and kick myself in the ass for something I said earlier - which I'm about to mark with a strike-through. I said just today that I didn't think the iPhone/iPod touch nor iPad were revolutionary. I suppose I wasn't thinking.

The iPhone 3G along with the app store have been a perfect example of a mobile revolution. But the spark for this obviously came with the first iPhone. A revolution doesn't start and end in an instant, and in terms of products one needs to trace back at least as far as the notable catalyst. The iPhone has changed the mobile landscape forever. Everything that has come since has been in reference and comparison to it. Trying very often to outright copy elements of it. Everyone wants an app store. Everyone is trying to emulate the iPhone's success. I believe while the iPad will likely start off a little slower, it can very well be considered revolutionary. We'll know more when we're able to look back rather that forward. It does have the potential to change the way many people interact with computers.

I won't ignore huge contributors at least in experimental efforts to this, such as Microsoft's Surface. But I think the iPad is the first real shot at really seeing the landscape starting to change.

Quote:
And now Apple's released the iPad, which is the same price, and looks like it was cribbed off of the JooJoo.

Not that the JooJoo was cribbed off the iPhone version of Safari? Including some of its UI? And the fact it's not out yet? And you think for a second Apple started developing the product after the JooJoo was shown, even in CrunchPad form? Come on. Might as well say the iPad or any product is ripped straight from the wet dreams of fanboys who have been posting about this stuff for years. So many have even created amazing mock-ups. You know, pretty much what the JooJoo is. A fancy web mockup of a product that could have been. Because, if you think the JooJoo is going to ship, I have a bridge overlooking some swamp land to sell you.

Again, I freely admit that what first got a lot of people on the multi-touch and touch bandwagon was the Surface product from MS. Includng the two finger rotate, pinching, etc.

When I was referencing Steve earlier in the presentation I did mention some awkwardness with typing and he didn't look the most comfortable I've seen him look. It was also a little slow (the presentation not the device). Those aren't detractors to everything else though. Just go and watch the device being used so you have at least a bit of information about what it does. That's all.

Quote:
I think our whole point is, though, this is merely an embiggened iPod Touch. It has no additional features that aren't directly related to its bigness, and that bigness is frequently a drawback.

No, not my point at all. Anyway, I'm done with this line of discussion since, though I'm not sure why, you want to turn it into an argument. I can't argue about facts when they're staring anyone who cares to look straight in the face*. You haven't seen the product nor the apps, how can you comment? You're really coming off as petty and uninformed as some of the people in the log comments, and frankly, I find it frightening that I'm even suggesting that of you.

* I will admit that sales projections or anything about the future is open for interpretation and argument, but above I'm talking about the simple facts regarding what the devices does with its default software and what that software looks like.

Edited by hybrid8 (28/01/2010 21:18)