Originally Posted By: wfaulk
It says that Grandma has "learned how to use email and a couple of other things on the Internet and that’s about it." That would imply that she has some sort of access to a computer now. How, exactly, is the iPad going to help her? It's not some magical device that makes using web sites (which I can guarantee is all she's ever used "on the Internet") easier. And it also refutes your notion that a more dedicated device is a bad idea.

It is going to be easier. Even though my grandmother has been using a Mac for 6+ years, she still occasionally drags the Safari icon off the dock and doesn't remember how to get it back. Or she accidentally resizes the e-mail window to the point of uselessness. Or she stores documents in the wrong folder and forgets where they are. And she still doesn't really understand the difference between a single click or double click. All things that wouldn't be a problem on an iPad.

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Technophobe is excited about a "regular sized computer THIS easy to use". Does he have some notion that it's going to have more features than his iPhone? I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he got one and was disappointed that he could have done all of that without spending an additional $500.

Quote:
saying an iPad is "just a big iPod Touch" is like saying a 30" monitor is "just a big 13" monitor.

The iPad offers a bigger screen and a resolution that allows apps like the iWork suite to work better. Sure, the iPhone could do a lot of the same, but it's not the same experience.