The original quote that spawned this tangent asked for the names of companies who provide better value, not specific devices. So asking for specific products is moving the goalposts.

I don't follow the tablet market closely enough to name model numbers, but Dell, HP, and Lenovo all make capable tablet PCs. The screens are all larger, they often have a physical keyboard available, and they run a true multitasking operating system, so they cost more. Any of them, to me, would have more value because of those factors, despite my preference for OS X over windows.

In other words, the iPhone OS is so stripped down, I'd rather run Windows.

Now, your value equation and mine are obviously different, and neither of ours matches the "average consumer." But you seem to be saying that a touch interface and some smooth app integration outweighs all the negatives in comparison to a tablet or a netbook, and I think you've failed to make that case. I've mentioned several places where Apple's value equation is suspect for most people but you haven't responded to those points. If we're going to talk past each other, I'll move on to another conversation.

To answer your other question, I watched Engadget's liveblog of the keynote but don't have a full hour+ to dedicate to watching the same material in video form.

Edited by tonyc (28/01/2010 17:58)