I'm not outraged, obviously my example is extreme, but I'm talking about fact checking and perhaps taking a quick read of the stupid-o-meter before deciding to reprint someone else's story.

Here's someone else's take on some simple factual errors such as "No YouTube" and "No CNN" - you can completely ignore the fact that the product isn't even out yet. WHo knows, by the time it is, maybe Hulu will be serving their video via HTML5 video tags without a flash wrapper.

The article ends with this choice bit:

Quote:

Eventually, these differences will have consumers choosing between two "big brother" type figures: the one that watches your activities everywhere on the web and the one that wants to control what the web even is.

Sure, maybe Google hosts services that pass a lot of information. Suggesting they're watching it all and watching all your activities is a little disingenuous. And to suggest that Apple wants to control what the web is? WTF is that supposed to even mean? Because their browser and OS doesn't permit the installation of a third-party plugin?

Flash is not a very big part of the web - that's content she's confusing Flash with. And anyone serious about reaching the most people with their content is going to make sure they cater to the audience regardless of delivery method. The biggest sites on the net to use Flash already support browsing without it.

To suggest that lack of support for Flash can affect at all how well a device or product does is asinine and not at all backed by any facts. If you want to look at it that way, you can actually argue that the lack of Flash is what has propelled the iPhone to the number one mobile internet device in the world. Also, how does this person know what a shipped Chrome OS product will support as far as Flash goes? Any particular product may not support Flash at all. The OS may not support Flash ever. There certainly isn't any Flash runtime on any Chrome OS I've seen at the moment.

She also claims that some fictitious, non existing products can be priced competitively with the iPad because Google is making the OS. WHAT? Let's forget the price of components and economies of scale and preferential pricing models. She's talking out her ass.

--------

The iPad already has "success" written all over it in my opinion. As gadgets go, only the iPhone has received even close to this amount of press, positive or negative. I'm like most people here, a techy. I believe this product is going to succeed and is the start of a revolution that's going to possibly bring profound change to general computing, despite you and me: iPads, Grandmas, technophobes and luddites.

Edited by hybrid8 (02/02/2010 20:03)