I've been out since lunch time but did manage to squeeze in a few minutes on the mother-in-law's computer to check Engadget. I've read only the headlines and some brief specs, plus now the posts in this thread.

When I first saw the details on Engadget, I just thought "meh" - I still haven't changed my opinion much. As I speculated earlier and we discussed here in the forum, this type of product is usually better suited for a vertical market. I can see some horizontal movement here because of the iPhone app support and the SDK, but it's not likely a device for me.

I still think it will do reasonably well. I'm completely confident it will be the best selling tablet device, bar none. I also think Amazon is a lot more concerned starting today than they were when they first found out about this device from their publishing partners. They've already significantly dropped their "commission" on eBook sales to Apple's level in anticipation. I'm pretty confident Apple is going to take away a lot of their business in this segment. I don't even know yet if the iBooks app is coming to the iPod and iPhone - if so, then it's really going to hurt Amazon. Unless they happen to be running Apple's books store. wink Which I somehow doubt.

I'm probably going to wait until tomorrow until I go and read more about the announcement. I have't charged my MBP in over 24 hours and it's only got about 34 minutes of charge left on it.