I also believe it's a lot easier to start with a kick-ass OS and UI framework, plus a set of second-to-none tools and APIs specific to a touch device class, iterating changes from release to release and improving the various areas of concern. Rather than starting with a desktop OS and then trying to make it fit the touch paradigms.

I'm confident we'll see some form of third party app multi-tasking in the future. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it, but it's going to be necessary to continue to keep the platform shining. Every other platform, even with multi-tasking still has years to go before being anywhere near Apple's, so I'm not sure it's something they're concerned that they haven't yet implemented it. Supposedly some really big things are planned for the next revision of the iPhone. We'll have to wait and see until WWDC.

Incidentally, third-party app multi-tasking and shared storage space and management are my biggest criticisms of the platform. The solution however needs some serious thought and elegant implementation. Not like the disgraceful situation on some other platforms.