Originally Posted By: wfaulk

If the iPhone is Cat2, Cat3 requires a purpose-built OS, and the iPad runs the same OS as the (Cat2) iPhone, how is it that the iPad can be Cat3?

Purpose-built versus a desktop OS. The iPhone OS is clearly suitable for both types of devices. Yes, I'd like to see some multi-taskign as well, but the OS is purpose-built for a touch UI. In fact it was first conceived of and tested not with the iPhone, but the precursor to a tablet computer.

You don't have to consider a Mac-Slate as theoretical. Here's one right here:

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

It even has a pressure sensitive screen.

BTW, has anyone actually watched the keynote?

Tonyc: Again, name one (not five, not 3 not even 2, just one) product that offers what the iPad does at any price. Even 10x the price if it needs to extend out that far. The only stipulation is that the product has to be out now or have been announced/demonstrated as a real product. Even Microsoft's Surface costs more than 10x and it's not easily carried around without a pickup truck.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue. I won't be buying this product this year. Feel free to follow my lead. I'm not sure I know anyone that will buy this product either. But I do know that a lot of people I've never met or talked to will buy it. Could the keynote have been bigger and more exciting? Not with this type of product, IMO. A lot of people are let down due to unrealistic expectations, like believing Apple would talk about anything other than this product at this keynote.

Personally, I don't have an itch that this type/class of product can scratch/satisfy, but many others do. And I think it's well enough executed, even with its missing pieces, to do well enough to finally establish the category and make Apple enough money to warrant keeping it going and producing a myriad of revisions.

Edited by hybrid8 (28/01/2010 17:26)