Originally Posted By: tonyc
You really seem to be setting the parameters of the debate to your liking here

When you start a discussion on a particular point you can feel free to set the parameters. I set them true, so if you're gong to rebut, you should stay within them. I've stayed within the parameters set in the original quote. Name on device. Come on. Seriously, I'm not trying to get into some meta discussion here. I'm not yanking your chain, why do you continue to yank mine?

Take the iPhone - go: what other phone offers MORE for MUCH less price?

Take the iPad: What tablet computer offers more for much less price?

One of each, taking into account software and hardware. I don't care if the other devices have a desktop OS or not, it's all fair game. Just give me one device within each of the above categories that gives you MORE for LESS.

Quote:
People out there like their Windows and they like their Office suite and they (guh) like their Flash. They like physical keyboards. They like multitasking. Do you think these things don't matter at all?

That has nothing to do with the point I proposed. Because there aren't devices that have those things in the category of the iPad or iPhone that cost less as the original quote stated.

As to how much they matter, which is a different topic, I propose that they matter a lot. But not in the way you're thinking. I think that had the tablet been a Mac, it would not sell as well. The proof will be in the sales. I can't think of a single existing or previous tablet computer that has done anything meaningful in volume sales. Nothing that has established a long-running brand. No one has had any success at tablet computing yet.

So if, as you say, all those things matter the most, we'll see the iPad fail and one or more other tablet products shine. Like I said, I stand by my hypothesis that the iPad will trump each and every other tablet device, even if you add all their totals and accomplishments together. I'll go one further. I'm including all devices that have existed in the past, have been announced and will be announced this year.

Quote:

I've responded by pointing out where Apple is *not* providing value with this device, and where other notebook and netbook makers are.

Other what? Don't you mean other tablet makers? We're not talking about disposable computers and notebooks.

Quote:
The point is, the original quote is correct -- there are devices that have more to offer to most consumers and are cheaper.

You're trying to re-write the quote, even in spirit. All I've asked for is the name of one single product that matches up in capabilities in the appropriate category and is much cheaper. While you tell me there are devices out there, you still haven't mentioned a single one. Don't even write the name if you don't want to. you can paste a link to a product page or review.

You do know that you're trying to tell me that there are tons of colours and shades out there while I'm stating that "white is the brightest."

Quote:
Actually, you could sell it for more, because it would have a legitimate operating system on it that can run real applications, and multitask them. I hates me some Windows, but in a choice between an iPad and your theoretical WinPad, I'm taking the WinPad, and I'm sure I'd have plenty of company.

Regular desktop operating system on a tablet? Ask all the PC makers that have tried this recipe how it's worked out for them. Maybe I've already set the stage for the future products that will kill the iPad in the market place both in terms of sales and profits. We'll see how that plays out.