Quote:
My retort: Name one.

How about any other tablet manufacturer versus the iPad. When *your* best ideas for using it are "nice large-screened Squeezebox", "amazing digital picture frame", and "remote control for your music collection", I think you've illustrated how narrow the market is for this overgrown iPod Touch.

And how about any major laptop manufacturer versus the current low-end laptop lineup? My wife needed a new computer, and when I was looking at a laptop for her, there was no question that I'd be buying a Mac. The cost of that requirement was several hundred dollars, and that allows for a couple hundred more in value assigned to higher quality hardware and nicer design. In terms of value to someone who doesn't care about the OS, the low end laptops are waaaay behind PC laptops. This is demonstrated by the fact that Apple's laptop market share growth has leveled off at a time when Microsoft has fumbled their entire OS strategy for a couple of years. Look, *I* value OS X and the Apple hardware very highly but most people don't value it at $400.