I don't need Steve blowing smoke up my ass to make a conclusion based on the device's specs.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I can clearly see where there are benefits and many obvious differentiators.

But you apparently can't state them. I'm asking you to show me what situation would make an iPad worth $500 or more for any significant number of people.

did you take the same stand with the cornucopia of eBook readers

I thought the hardware was neat, but there was very little point to them until the Kindle showed up. The fact that Amazon had a very large selection of books to purchase and the fact that it didn't need any sort of separate computer made it worthwhile. Unlike MP3 players, there was no practical way to get your existing library into digital form, which made the need for direct purchase of software a necessity.

The Kindle (and its successors) have the possibility of revolutionizing the book industry, and possibly saving it (not to mention a few billion trees). I don't know that it will, but it's caught on reasonably well so far. It's clearly not a failure.

the best way to look at it is that the iPhone and iPod touch are less powerful scaled-down tablets

Okay, so we're back to saying that the iPhone is in the same category as the iPad, which the iPad apparently invented, despite that the iPhone preceded it by several years.

Is my Nexus One a scaled-down not-less-powerful tablet?

Edited by wfaulk (28/01/2010 18:32)